Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vgearhart
Returning Member

I already paid 40 dollar for federal and state. $80 dollars. Why I have to pay more and are now getting less.

Now I have to pay at least 50 More to file. It doesn't look like I paid the 80 dollars?
 I guess I really just need to talk to someone.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I already paid 40 dollar for federal and state. $80 dollars. Why I have to pay more and are now getting less.

How did you pay the first set of charges?  Did you use credit/debit card, or did you choose to pay any fees out of your Federal refund, which has an additional service charge ($40 except $45 for California)?

Fees of $40 and $40 implies you were using Deluxe at one point for your Federal and state returns.

Now, however,  you appear to be using Online Premier.  At least that is what is shown underneath your question.  Is that correct?  Premier is currently $70 for Federal and $40 for state.  Do you have any optional add-ons such as MAX Benefits (audit protection, ID protection, etc.)

Check your fees this way:

• With your return open, go to the left menu column and click on TAX TOOLS, then TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window, choose MY FEES.
  • What products and services are shown there?
tritonspirit2000
Returning Member

This happened to me.   This appears to be a scam.  Not happy with Turbo Tax!   My taxes are simple, and I could have paid a company $99 to file my taxes for me.  I ended up paying Turbo Tax $105  ($43 for program and $62 for direct deposit/fee taken out of return.)   

@ tritonspirit2000 wrote:

This happened to me.   This appears to be a scam.  Not happy with Turbo Tax!   My taxes are simple, and I could have paid a company $99 to file my taxes for me.  I ended up paying Turbo Tax $105  ($43 for program and $62 for direct deposit/fee taken out of return.)   

NOTE:  Did you use Online TurboTax, or are you referring to a desktop product (CD/download?

We're having to guess a bit until we know.

It's not clear what you were charged for.   What product edition did you use and when did you file--February or March.  There was a price increase on March 1.

There is no fee for direct deposit.  Anyone with an eligible USA bank account (or eligible card) can get a direct deposit.   There IS a $40 extra service fee, however, if you chose to pay TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund.  That service fee is $40 (except for California where it is $45.)  That payment method is optional.  There is no service fee if one chooses to instead pay upfront by credit/debit card.

There is no service fee of $62 for that refund option.  (just $40 or $45).  So I'm not sure where that figure you provided came from.  But I'll provide a possible scenario lower down in this answer.

Did you use Online Deluxe?   If so, did you file prior to March 1?   Prior to March 1, Online Deluxe was $40 for a Federal return and $40 for a state return.   On March 1, Deluxe increased to $60 for a Federal return and $50 for a state return.

Did you prepare only a Federal return in Online Deluxe and filed in March?  If so, here are two ways that could account for a fee of $105.

Deluxe Federal return:  $60

Option to pay out of the Federal refund:  $40

Plus possible sales tax could make it total $105.

OR if you are a California filer, it could be $105 this way:

Deluxe Federal return:  $60

Option to pay fees out of your Federal refund $45

ADDENDUM 3/06/2021 at 8:05 PM Pacific

Or are you using desktop software (CD/download) and chose to pay a $20 state efile fee out of the Federal refund?  If so, then $20 plus $40 (if not California) plus sales tax could be approximately $62.  

@ tritonspirit2000 

I added some additional info to my comment above.   Since we don't know yet if you are using Online TurboTax or the desktop software (CD/download), I added another possible scenario to explain your $62 charge if you are using desktop software and efiled a state return (which has a $20 service fee, except for New York state.)    And if you chose to pay that $20 state efile fee out of your Federal refund, there would have been an additional $40 service fee for that payment method ($45 for California filers) plus possible sales tax.

tritonspirit2000
Returning Member

Hello - 

I used the CD/download method and the Deluxe addition.  I understand the fees now.  I have always appreciated the Turbo Tax program, and often recommend it to friends.   I was just disappointed about the fees.  I have never used the option of having Turbo Tax deduct a fee directly from my return.  Price seems a bit high.   Despite my disappointment, I will continue to use the program because I find it easy to use, thorough, and appropriate for my tax situation.   

Susie819
Returning Member

I have the same problem here. After I finished my federal return, TT deluxe ask me another 40 dollars to do the California return. 

@Susie819 This is an old thread.  We cannot tell what software you used.  If you used the online software, you have to pay separate fees for federal and for state returns.   When you use the CD/download, certain versions of Deluxe or higher include the state software.  Online and the CD/download software have different pricing structures.

Beware of choosing to have those fees deducted from your federal refund.....or you will be charged for an extra refund processing fee too.

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

What is Refund Processing Service?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies