felixvdb41

I adopted a child this year, his legal name changed in March of this year. Do i file the taxes with what his name was before the adoption or after the adoption?

felixvdb41

I have a new social security card for 2017 with his new legal name from March, in 2016 his social security card had his previous name, which name do i use?

On the 2016 tax return you would use the name that is on his current Social Security card.

felixvdb41

I have a new social security card for 2017 with his new legal name from March when the adoption was complete, in 2016 his social security card had his previous name, which name do i use?  I'm trying to file my 2016 taxes.

The IRS needs the current Social Security number and Name on the tax return.  So you would use the SS number and Name that you received for him in March of this year when entering him as a dependent on the 2016 tax return.
felixvdb41

thanks