I accidentally filed EIC and now my son's father's return has been rejected.

I know that I must wait for my refund to be deposited in my account.  I then plan on mailing an amendment form along with a check for what I owe back to the IRS.  I understand this takes a few months to be processed.  In the meantime, the father plans on mailing his return in.  I understand that he will get his refund.  Will there still be an audit if my amendment is still in the processing stage?  Should he file an extension and wait for my amendment to be completely processed (16 weeks)?

This does not trigger an audit, but it may cause you both to get a letter from the IRS asking for proof of who should claim your son. If you receive this letter simply respond to it and let them know his father should have claimed your son which will speed up the process for your sons' father.

Filing an extension is another option, however, the 16 weeks is an estimate and not a guaranteed time frame.  So it could be longer. 

Do both parent live with the child?
If not, which parent did the child live with more than ha;f the year?