shannond143

How would I go about filing? We have no gains or losses.Dept of Taxation requires I file even though gross income or business activity is zero. is that correct?

ThomasM125

What state are you filing for please?

shannond143

Hawaii

shannond143

Can I get further feedback on my question?

DaveF1006

It depends. It sounds like the State of Hawaii is asking you to file even though you have no taxable income to report. My suggestion is to:

1. Log into Turbo Tax

2. Go to federal>income and expenses>all income>>show more 
  3. Less Common Income> Start
  4. Miscellaneous Income,>start
  5. Other reportable income>start
  6. Next screen asks Any Other Taxable Income>yes
  7. The next screen will allow you to report the income with a brief explanation. i would suggest adding $1 of income in this section.
  8. Also if you have social security or disability income, i would suggest that you also add this into the return.
  9. After you enter this into your federal return, select state>add a state>Hawaii
  10. The information you entered will populate into the Hawaii return