mt1929

How will my return be effected if I collected unemployment and will only be working Oct-dec this year? I have two kids. Last year I had one and worked all year.

Unemployment compensation is taxable, so you will have to report it on your tax return.  You will receive a 1099G in the mail, or you may need to access it via your state's unemployment website.  Unemployment compensation will not count as earned income toward the Earned Income Credit, but it will count as income in determining if you are eligible to receive EIC.  When all of your income and your dependent information has been entered into the software, TurboTax automatically calculates your EIC if you are eligible for it and adds it to your refund.  If you have a child born in 2017, make sure that on your 2017 tax return you indicate that the child lived with you all year.

As an aside, not all stated tax unemployment comp on the State tax return.