How to file tax for 6 months
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How to file tax for 6 months

I was here for first 4 months (i.e. Jan, Feb, Mar and Apr) in 2016 and went back to my home country and again came back to US in Nov 2016 ending. When I try to filing tax for 2016 TurboTax system is calculating tax for a whole year. Please let me know is there any facility to select period of stay in US in 2016
1 Reply
New Member

How to file tax for 6 months

First you must confirm if you qualify to file as a resident for Tax Purposes. You must pass the Green Card Test or the Substantial Presence Test.

If you do no meet either if these requirements you must file your Tax Return with Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. You can file this return with TurboTax's partner SprinTax. The FAQ below contains the link for this service:

When you file as a resident for Tax Purposes, you are required to report your Worldwide Income during the Calendar Year. The IRS does not allow the allocation of income attributed to your presence in the United States. The only instance where a partial year is allowed is when you do not meet the Green Card Test or Substantial Presence Test upon entry or exit into the country.

Dynamic Ads
Privacy Settings