turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file a married filing joint tax return if one spouse was not in the US for entire year of 2018 while the other spouse was in the US for entire year of 2018?

I found out that if one spouse is non resident for the year you can still treat him/her resident for the purpose of filing tax return. But how do I tell your software that one spouse was not a resident and we r treating him as a resident. I understand that any foreign income earned will be reported. My question is do I need to specify that one spouse was not in the US for 2018 but we are choosing to treat him as.if he is a resident. Both spouses have green cards. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

How to file a married filing joint tax return if one spouse was not in the US for entire year of 2018 while the other spouse was in the US for entire year of 2018?

No, you do not need to specify that information in the program.  

First of all, if both spouses have green cards, you both are residents.  Your spouse is considered as a resident even though he or she does not reside in the US.  You do not need to file a special statement or election to treat that person as a resident.   In the TurboTax program, you do not need to indicate spouse was not present in the US for the year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

No, you do not need to specify that information in the program.  

First of all, if both spouses have green cards, you both are residents.  Your spouse is considered as a resident even though he or she does not reside in the US.  You do not need to file a special statement or election to treat that person as a resident.   In the TurboTax program, you do not need to indicate spouse was not present in the US for the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies