Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How should I file if I have side gigs?

I had an extension because I had 3 side gigs and don’t know how best to file my returns? Does it change if I only have one irregular gig this year?

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

How should I file if I have side gigs?

Hi Raenie, Thanks for the questions.


Glad that you are on extension to file your tax year 2021 tax return(s).


3 side gigs - if the revenue streams are similar, for example, driving for Uber and Lyft and received Form 1099-NECs respectively, you would only need one Schedule C Profit or Loss from Business. If the nature of gigs are very different, for example, selling on Amazon and consulting, you would need two different Schedule C, etc. 


1 irregular gig for tax year 2022 - you would need to report Gross receipt/sales and related business expenses in Schedule C too.


Schedule C with income and expenses are offered via TurboTax Online self employed version.

Schedule C with income only, no expenses, can be accomplished by TurboTax Online Deluxe version.


Hope the above helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings