How much would my taxes/return been without claimi...

How much would my taxes/return been without claiming my son?

Trying to see if there is money to share with my son's mom since I claimed him.

The only way to know for sure is to prepare a dummy return in a different (throwaway) account.

Generally, the child tax credit is worth $2000 for your child age 16 or less who lives in your home, or $500 for a child age 17 or older.  A child may also qualify you for head of household status instead of filing single, the child and dependent credit, EIC, or college tuition credits. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**

I find the best way to determine the answer to what if questions like this is to remove the entry, in this case, your son's information and see the result.  You will then only need to reentry his information for filing.  I do this regularly to determine the extent something costs or saves me.                                   John 

I agree with both of the previous posts.  You need to either create a dummy return without including your son, or temporarily remove your son from your completed return and see what difference it makes.  Don't forget to compare the changes in your state return as well.  

Without knowing your tax situation, there is not an easy way to answer that question.  

@agtwmlee

You should not make ANY changes to an online tax return AFTER it is filed, even if you think you can reverse the changes.  You should only make changes to a tax file after filing if you are preparing an amended return.  That’s why I suggested making a dummy file instead.  

Good point.....