turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I upload my taxes from last year to the online version

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can transfer your data from the prior year .tax file on your computer into your online account to jumpstart this years taxes.  But, it will not store the file online.  You can follow the instructions below to complete this process.

You will need to have your prior year .tax2015 file on your computer - not just the pdf file.  

Note: If you already started your 2016 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered.  Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You must be using TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app)  
  1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started.
    (To continue a return, sign in and then click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Make sure you've gone past the blue "simple and accurate" screen before continuing to the next step.
  3. Select the My Account drop-down menu in the upper right, and then select Tools.
  4. In the pop-up window, select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.
Note:  You will only be transferring the data from 2015 to jumpstart your 2016 return.  After this year, you can continue to use the online account and it will transfer every year.  However, you will want to retain the .tax files (and pdfs) on your computer for future reference as those returns will not be “stored” online.  If you ever need to access those returns directly, you will need those .tax files and pdfs - I recommend you make backup copies of them as well. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

How long to upload tax file from computer to Turbo Tax online?

You can transfer your data from the prior year .tax file on your computer into your online account to jumpstart this years taxes.  But, it will not store the file online.  You can follow the instructions below to complete this process.

You will need to have your prior year .tax2015 file on your computer - not just the pdf file.  

Note: If you already started your 2016 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered.  Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You must be using TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app)  
  1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started.
    (To continue a return, sign in and then click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Make sure you've gone past the blue "simple and accurate" screen before continuing to the next step.
  3. Select the My Account drop-down menu in the upper right, and then select Tools.
  4. In the pop-up window, select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.
Note:  You will only be transferring the data from 2015 to jumpstart your 2016 return.  After this year, you can continue to use the online account and it will transfer every year.  However, you will want to retain the .tax files (and pdfs) on your computer for future reference as those returns will not be “stored” online.  If you ever need to access those returns directly, you will need those .tax files and pdfs - I recommend you make backup copies of them as well. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies