Solved: How is it that I have 3 dependents, and you only gave me 2 to claim? My 2 daughters and a Granddaughter. The Mommy doesn't work but lives with me. And she is under 21.

lanie0205

How is it that I have 3 dependents, and you only gave me 2 to claim? My 2 daughters and a Granddaughter. The Mommy doesn't work but lives with me. And she is under 21.

ShawnaD

It could be that they did not meet the requirements for being claimed as a dependent. Please see the following information from the TurboTax Blog, you can find the full article here.

A dependent must be your “qualifying child” or “qualifying relative” and meet specific tests in order for you to claim them.

The 5 tests that will qualify a child as a dependent are:

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

The 4 tests that will qualify a relative as a dependent are:

• Qualifying Child: They are not the “qualifying child” of another taxpayer or your “qualifying child”.
  • Gross Income: The dependent being claimed earns less than $4,050 in 2017 ($4,050 in 2016).
  • Total Support: You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • Member of Household or Relationship: The person (a friend, girlfriend, non-blood relative) must live with you all year as a member of your household.

ShawnaD