adanramirez1

How does my 17 yr old daughter, who earned 5669.99, file if I claim her as a dependent?

KatrinaB

She will need to file as a dependent taxpayer. In order to do that, she will need to indicate that she is claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return. She will answer yes to two questions on the first page of her tax return. Please view my (screenshots) below for a reference.

In Turbo Tax Online, you will need to start a new return for your daughter. Please view the Turbo Tax FAQ below for instructions on doing so.

You should be eligible to claim her as a dependent, as long as she didn't provide more than half of her own support for the year. Here are a list of other requirements as well.

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

[edited, 02/17/17]

KatrinaB

[edited, 02/17/17]

KatrinaB

I am editing to add screenshots.