cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

How do I upgrade from Turbo Tax Free File to Turbo Tax Premier.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 9

You cannot upgrade from Free File.  You have to get out of the account you were using for Free File and use a different account and user ID to use "regular" TurboTax.

22 Replies
Level 9

You cannot upgrade from Free File.  You have to get out of the account you were using for Free File and use a different account and user ID to use "regular" TurboTax.

Level 1

That is ridiculous. So will not have your info form last year ?
Level 1

I agree this is annoying. There is supposed to be an upgrade option in the menu on the left and now you're saying we can't upgrade? When did this change?
Level 1

I spent hours entering my new data, and then found out I was in the freefile version (unsure why, I had never used this).  And now I have to create a new account so all my old information is now unable to be imported.  This needs to be fixed.
Level 9

Sorry--there is no fix -- the IRS does not allow you to upgrade from the Free File version so that lower income taxpayers can be assured that they will NOT end up a software version they cannot pay for.  
Level 9

Level 1

I'm in same situation as batespurdue, Complete BS, I don't even mind re-entering, but no matter what I do I end up back to the free program. Least they could have done is separate them so when I click the deluxe edition on their price page, I goto the deluxe edition and not the free program again. On to the big H R I go.
Level 1

Yes, I have the same problem. I can't upgrade and I can't seem to start a new account. I'll either try a different system or go back to my accountant. He's fairly inexpensive and this is not worth the headache.
Level 1

I am also in the same boat. Why did I fill everything out if it won't even let me upgrade?! Why is TurboTax making it so hard for me to pay them. You'd think they would want the money.