June 6, 2019 1:15 AM
First, the online and desktop are separate programs, so you will need to purchase and download the desktop program from the link below (or purchase a CD at a retail store) and install the program -
If you have already paid for the online software, then you will need to contact phone support who can verify your purchase and provide you with a downloadable copy of the program for free - use the following link or use the Contact Us feature inside your online account
If you want to completely start over, then after you install the program you can start a new return. But, you can use the following steps below to transfer the work you have already completed from the online to the desktop if you want -
- Log into your TurboTax Online Account and select Take Me to My Return
- In the blue banner at the top, click on My Account and select Tools from the dropdown menu
- In the small box that populates, click on Save your 2016 return to your Computer (try to save to an easy-to-find location such as My Documents or Desktop)
- This will download a .tax2016 file to your computer - make note of where that file is saved to on your computer
- Sign out of TurboTax Online and, if you haven't done so already, install TurboTax 2016 CD/Download. Windows | Mac
Important: If you Online return already contains one or more states, you must install those states in your desktop program also; otherwise, you will receive errors when you attempt to open your return
- Once installed, choose File > Open Tax Return.
- Browse to where you saved the .tax2016 file in step 3, select it, and then click Open.
- Choose File > Save.
(Optional) Once you are satisfied that your online returns transferred over properly, you can clear your Online return. Note: This will remove your data online, so I would recommend waiting until you have at least filed your return before clearing any online data, but the choice is yours.
Now, you should have your 2016 return on your computer and can continue to use the desktop software program to finish your return. For next year, you can use the transfer feature inside the desktop program and will be able to skip all these steps.