turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I remove TurboTax Deluxe from my Tax Return, it was not needed?

10 min to do your taxes? Did you make $1 all year? This is easily a 3 hour inconvenience if you have actual forms to fill out.

EMD5476

I have used turbo tax for years and this year the site was HIGHLY deceptive. I just had this issue where I was automatically enrolled in the Turbo Tax Deluxe version and actually started over once because I thought I must have accidentally signed up for Deluxe. When I got to the end a second time and realized this was actually not my mistake and rather TurboTax banking on people not wanting to restart the process and being stuck paying over $100. I asked customer service for help and the person was rude and completely unempathetic. I'm so disappointed and frustrated with this company.

@EMD5476 wrote:

I have used turbo tax for years and this year the site was HIGHLY deceptive. I just had this issue where I was automatically enrolled in the Turbo Tax Deluxe version and actually started over once because I thought I must have accidentally signed up for Deluxe. When I got to the end a second time and realized this was actually not my mistake and rather TurboTax banking on people not wanting to restart the process and being stuck paying over $100. I asked customer service for help and the person was rude and completely unempathetic. I'm so disappointed and frustrated with this company.

If you are eligible you can file for free both federal and state -

IRS Free File Program - https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/
If you are eligible you can use the TurboTax Free File Program which is free to file both a federal and state tax return. The Free File Program edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns with the Free File Program, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2019 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $36,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2019 AGI of $69,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

See this TurboTax support FAQ on the Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the difference between the Free File Progam and the Free edition - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2572617-what-s-the-difference-between-free-file-program-and-free-e...

And see this TurboTax support FAQ on how to switch to the TurboTax Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program

pmourer

echo everything everyone has said here -- at some point, it said I should get deluxe due to my unique tax situation. which, it turns out, was not at all unique. there have been similar tactics but this is the straw that broke the camel's back. never using intuit again.

If i have to start all over, may as well go somewhere else for round 2. poor choice intuit.

ddelliott

i will never again use turbotax. i would never have chosen the premium service on purpose. but im not spending another half hour starting over from the beginning. shame on you, turbotax and friends. you just lost a customer.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

When you upgrade from the free version to a paid version, Turbo Tax does confirm with you prior to the upgrade. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ryley_77

I don’t need turbo tax plus or any of that just need the regular 

rubble1

Just don't use turbotax.

Problem solved. Lesson learned.

I should've just done this all on tax slayer or something.

I dont want no delux version on my taxes

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You may:

•  Remove all entries and start over, or
  • Remove all entries and abandon your TurboTax account.

Click Tax Tools, then Clear and start over at the bottom left of the screen.

However, you may not be able to Clear and start over after you have registered your account.

You should also click on Intuit Account in the lower left hand corner of the screen.  Click on the options down the left side to remove personal information.

See also this TurboTax Best Answer.

See this TurboTax Help to switch to IRS Free File.

$60 escalates to over + $210.00, what one, who is filing the file, is not told.   

This feature is literally TRASH

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

As long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you can erase your return and start from scratch in TurboTax Online.

1. Sign in and select a topic to continue your return.
  2. On the next screen, from the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then Clear & Start Over (select the menu icon in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.     @rschacht
  4. When you start over, choose Free Edition and don't upgrade.   

Why do I have to upgrade from Free Edition?

IM trying to clear and start over

If you haven't filed, registered or paid you can try to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

Or if it doesn't let you clear and you haven't paid and filed you could just start a new account.  Online is only good for 1 return per account.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies