turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i refile a rejected state ONLY return after correcting it, NOT the federal, which has been accepted?

app is prompting me to submit “returns” but i want to resend ONLY the state return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

How do i refile a rejected state ONLY return after correcting it, NOT the federal, which has been accepted?

You will only be able to file your State Return once the Federal Return has been Accepted or is being filed at the same time.  Please see the Community Post here for further details.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dsolero

The reply I found in help center did not answer the question.  My Federal file has been accepted.  Due to an error in your software that I paid for, my CA State was rejected.  How do I get past the Federal filing option to reach State and resubmit and not resubmit my Federal filing that does not need to be filed?  

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

What rejection code are you getting? Try the steps below to resubmit your state return:

1. Click on State on the left column. 
  2. Confirm that a resident return in the State of California is being filed. 
  3. Click continue.
  4. Answer the questions about your filings.
  5. On the next screen, titled Your Principal Residence, enter your county of residence.

Once the California county is reentered as outlined above, you can continue to refile your return. 

If you continue to have problems, please click on the Contact Us form https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/. We’ll help you connect with the right expert for your specific problem.

I'm having a similar problem. TurboTax knows my Federal return was accepted, but it will not let me re-file the State return.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@GAPeachInTheBigApp Some TurboTax Desktop customers are unable to submit their state return after previously filing their Federal return.

To ensure that there are not any errors preventing you from e-filing, please choose the Review tab and run a final review on your return.

If you're experiencing the issue above after checking for any errors,  please go here to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.

You can also view this information in the TurboTax Article below:

Why am I not able to e-file my state return after filing my Federal return?

If you are are using the Online version, I would suggest deleting your State return and then re-entering.  Please see the instructions in the link below:

How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?

Thanks @Cass0317! I am indeed using the Desktop version. Does that mean there's a glitch in the software, and I just have to wait for it to be fixed?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@GAPeachInTheBigApple  Yes, that is correct. Be sure to click the link above to receive a email notification when the update is released to fix this issue.

Ravenge4Life
Returning Member

@Cass0317 Has there been any progress on getting this updated and rolled out to the people that purchased the product or at least an estimated time frame?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Once the IRS accepts the Federal, you can then resubmit your State.

If that is not the issue, please see the TurboTax Article below:

Why am I not able to e-file my state return after filing my Federal return?

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information about rejected returns and how to fix them:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/how-do-i-fix-a-rejected-return/00/26136

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies