turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I redo my tax return? It keeps being rejected but I’m unable to fix the issue.

My partner said he didn’t claim our daughter as we agreed so when I tried to complete my taxes it said I can’t use the same ssn as another child that has been claimed.
This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Would you like to view more questions that might be relevant?
2 Replies

How do I redo my tax return? It keeps being rejected but I’m unable to fix the issue.

unless the SSN you entered for her is incorrect, if you're getting that message, it seems your partner or someone else filed their return using her SSN. No matter what you do, you will not be able to fix this issue to e-file.  It will have to be mailed. Follow Turbotax's filing instructions attach any require withholding forms, sign, date and mail. 

How do I redo my tax return? It keeps being rejected but I’m unable to fix the issue.

Your "partner?"   Is your partner the child's other parent and do all of you live together?   If so, then the child can only be entered on ONE of your tax returns, and it sounds like the child's SSN has already been entered on the other return.   You cannot both claim the child if you live together as a family.    So......if your partner already got the child-related credits like child tax credit or childcare credit, or earned income credit, or used the child as a qualifying dependent in order to file as Head of Household-----you can remove the child from your own tax return completely and file Single without the child as a dependent.


Or, your partner has to amend and remove the child completely from their return.  Then you can claim the child but you will still not be able to e-file.   If you claim the child you have to file by printing, signing and dating your return in ink, and by mailing it in.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.



**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies