turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

westerf1

How do I receive the $1000 tax credit for my son who was born 6/23/2015 for 2016 AND 2015? Received credit for daughter born in 2014, but am told my son does not qualify.

Household income is $53,000. Received $1000 credit for daughter born in 2014, but I am told we do not qualify for a credit for my son who was born in 2015. Did not receive credit for him in 2015 taxes as well. How do I obtain this credit? Can I still get the credit from 2015 as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I receive the $1000 tax credit for my son who was born 6/23/2015 for 2016 AND 2015? Received credit for daughter born in 2014, but am told my son does not qualify.

Can you EDIT him in the Personal Information section and make sure he is a dependent and the date of birth is correct.  If the one child qualifies, then the son should also.

Yes, you can amend 2015, but get 2016 straightened out first.

In the year of birth (2016) you have to say the child lived with you all year - as it is referring to since born.  

To Amend the 2015 return see below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Can you EDIT him in the Personal Information section and make sure he is a dependent and the date of birth is correct.  If the one child qualifies, then the son should also.

Yes, you can amend 2015, but get 2016 straightened out first.

In the year of birth (2016) you have to say the child lived with you all year - as it is referring to since born.  

To Amend the 2015 return see below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

westerf1

I see how to do it now. Thank you!
DonnaO

In addition to what Michael said,

Here’s how to determine which of your kids will qualify you for the credit:
1.    Age Test
To qualify, a child must have been under age 17 (i.e., 16 years old or younger) at the end of the tax year for which you claim the credit.

2.    Relationship Test
The child must be your own child, a stepchild, or a foster child placed with you by a court or authorized agency. An adopted child is always treated as your own child. ("An adopted child" includes a child lawfully placed with you for legal adoption, even if that adoption is not final by the end of the tax year.)

You can also claim your brother or sister, stepbrother, stepsister. And you can claim descendents of any of these qualifying people — such as your nieces, nephews and grandchildren — if they meet all the other tests.

3.    Support Test
To qualify, the child cannot have provided more than half of his or her own financial support during the tax year.

4.    Dependent Test
You must claim the child as a dependent on your tax return.

Bear in mind that in order for you to claim a child as a dependent, he or she must: 1) be your child (or adoptive or foster child), sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild; 2) be under age 19, or under age 24 and a fulltime student for at least five months of the year; or be permanently disabled, regardless of age; 3) have lived with you for more than half the year; and 4) have provided no more than half his or her own support for the year.

5.    Citizenship Test
The child must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national or a U.S. resident alien. (For tax purposes, the term "U.S. national" refers to individuals who were born in American Samoa or in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.)

6.    Residence Test
The child must have lived with you for more than half of the tax year for which you claim the credit. There are important exceptions, however: A child who was born (or died) during the tax year is considered to have lived with you for the entire year.

Temporary absences by you or the child for special circumstances, such as school, vacation, business, medical care, military services or detention in a juvenile facility, are counted as time the child lived with you. (There are also some exceptions to the residency test for children of divorced or separated parents. For details, see the instructions for Form 1040, lines 51 and 6c, or Form 1040A, lines 33 and 6c.)

7.    Family Income Test
The child tax credit is reduced if your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is above certain amounts, which are determined by your tax-filing status. The phase out threshold is $55,000 for married couples filing separately; $75,000 for single, head of household, and qualifying widow or widower filers; and $110,000 for married couples filing jointly. For each $1,000 of income above the threshold, your available child tax credit is reduced by $50.
What if the credit exceeds my tax liability?
The Child Tax Credit is nonrefundable; if your credit exceeds your tax liability, your tax bill is reduced to zero and any remaining unused credit is lost. However, you may be able to claim a refundable Additional Child Tax Credit for the unused balance. You can find out if you're eligible for this refundable credit by completing the worksheet in IRS Form 8812.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies