turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

How do I obtain an IP Pin for my minor/dependent?

You must follow the process outlined on the IRS page Get an Identity Protection (IP PIN) PIN. Your children must be verified.

For additional help you may call us at 800-908-4490 for specialized assistance, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).  They will be able to explain what you need to do for your children to provide verification or refer you to the appropriate next step.

@Dkamamama3630

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I fill out that form I’m looking at it but it’s a little confusing.

@npierson7  can you explain to me how I fill it please. my kids father claimed them this year and I been their primary the whole year they live with me he see them when he feels like it. I’m very stressed about it and how do I get a pin for each child I go to get my pin on the irs website but it only lets me apply for a pin.

Ladora40

How to apply for an ip pin for 3 minor children 

@Ladora40 

you have to submit the Form three times, once for each child.

Did you figure out how to set up an IP PIN for your child/minor. I can't seem to figure it out. I followed the link but it set one up for me not my child. Or is that the number I use for my child? I'm confused!!!

Jean6506

I fax a paper to get ipin number for my son and daughter never heard from them

Teajeadeleon
Returning Member

How do I put a pin for my 6 month old daughter 

L_White35

How do I obtain ip pen for my son?

@L_White35 wrote:

How do I obtain ip pen for my son?

Go to this IRS for how to obtain an IP PIN - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

Tiff2424

Id like some help to obtain pins for my 2 daughters bc there father has filed for them and he isnt in there lives at all! Last year i had to jump through hoops to prove that i was the one who has custody and has hD them all year every year. Can you plz help? 
[phone number removed]

@Tiff2424 Go to this IRS website for how to obtain an IP PIN - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

I am requesting an IP Pin for my youngest son, who lives with me 12 months of the year all of his life. But his father has his ss# now due to insurance. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

A PIN is not required to file your current year tax return. If you file your return and it gets rejected, then you can mail the return with any documentation showing your son lives with your.

Documents can include such things as school records or medical records that show your address as his address.

To verify your identity for e-filing will use last year's adjusted gross income (AGI) as your PIN.  You can get a copy of your 2021 tax return, from TurboTax it will have your AGI.  Follow these steps to get a copy of your prior-year tax return if you filed with TurboTax.

Sign in to TurboTax making sure you're using the same TurboTax account (with the same username) as in prior years.

This link How do I find last year's AGI? has additional information that you may find useful.

If you did not file with TurboTax you can request and IRS Transcript. To obtain is an IRS Transcript, click the link to get started.

@JanayEthan14

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

True I don't understand 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies