cguzman71

How do i know if someone claimed me on their taxes?

I would like to find out if anyone has claimed me on their own taxes.

Hal_Al

There's only two ways: 1. Ask the suspects or 2. e-file and see if your are rejected because someone has used your SS#

If someone else claimed your exemption inappropriately, and if they file first, your return will be rejected if e-filed. You would then need to file a return on paper, claiming the exemption if appropriate. The IRS will process your return and send you your refund, in the normal time. Shortly (up to a year) thereafter, you’ll receive a letter from the IRS, stating that your exemption was claimed on another return. It will tell you that if you made a mistake to file an amended return and if you didn't make a mistake to do nothing. The other party will get the same letter you did. If one of you doesn't file an amended return, unclaiming the exemption, the next letter, from the IRS, will require you to provide proof. Be sure to reply in a timely manner.

Winner gets the tax benefits; loser gets to pay the IRS back with penalties and interest.

The usual suspects are:

1. The other parent.  

2.The parent the child lives with.

3. The child claimed his own exemption.

4. Some other member of the household (e.g. grandparent)

5. Someone else the child lived with for part of the year

Hal_Al

The usual suspects are:

1. The other parent.  

2.The parent the child lives with.

3. The child claimed his own exemption.

MarshallB1931

@MarshallB1931 You only posted your username -- no question.  Do you have a question?

fersealm

How can I find out if someone carried me on their taxes

Scroll up and read the first answer.  You can't find out.  Ask them.  If the IRS gets 2 returns with you on both they will mail each of you a letter to determine whose return you should be on.

Ballie5

Have anyone claim me on their taxes

@Ballie5 wrote:

Have anyone claim me on their taxes

There is no way to know if you have been claimed on another tax return until you file your tax return and then the IRS will reject your return if someone filed a tax return before you and it was accepted by the IRS.

Or ask your parent's or other relatives if you lived in their homes during 2019.

Babayboyblue

ColeenD3

@Babayboyblue

You can't really know who might have claimed you. However, if you file your return and it is rejected for that reason, you will know that someone has.

You will have to file your return by mail at that point. The IRS will have to intervene to see whether or not that person had the right to claim you.

Keymario24

How can I find out if someone claimed me on they taxes

Read the answers above.

@Keymario24 wrote:

You can't and the IRS will not tell you.  You will only find out if you e-file your tax return and it is rejected because your name and Social Security number was already entered on a tax return accepted by the IRS.  Then you can only print and mail your tax return.

Velscott1

I am disabled and trying to find out if I'm being claimed as a dependant on my daughters taxes 

Can you ask her?  If you are being claimed as someone else's dependent, and you try to file without saying that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent, your e-file will be rejected.  Was Social Security disability your only income for 2019?  Were you supported by your daughter?