Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Want2no

How do I know how much I am paying for PIP on my State Farm Auto Policy in Michigan? It states PIP on the policy, but no amount is listed.

GThis is the medical portion I pay on my auto insurance that is deductible on my 1040.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

How do I know how much I am paying for PIP on my State Farm Auto Policy in Michigan? It states PIP on the policy, but no amount is listed.

It is only deductible on your Michigan return.

All auto insurance companies operating in Michigan are assessed to cover the catastrophic medical claims occurring in Michigan. Although those assessments are generally passed on to auto insurance policyholders, they are  not  medical insurance premiums the policyholder is paying for policies that cover (the policyholder's) medical care.

Michigan's Homestead Property Tax and Home Heating Credits" interview is where the.are deductible only.In calculating your household resources, MI allows you to deduct the medical insurance portion of your automobile insurance premiums, if any. This is identified on your insurance bill as PIP (Personal Injury Protection). PIP is an extension of car insurance available in some U.S. states that covers your medical expenses.  "Medical Insurance or HMO Premiums Reduce Household Resources" in the State Taxes interview for Michigan.  It states, "We have already included medical insurance premiums you previously entered on your federal return.  If your auto insurance includes medical payments, enter the medical care portion of your auto insurance premiums here."  If your insurance carrier does not breakdown PIP between medical and wage loss a good rule of thumb is 80%medical/20% wage loss for PIP.

From IRS Pub. 502 under expenses that you can not deduct:

"The part of your car insurance that provides medical insurance coverage for all persons injured in or by your car because the part of the premium providing insurance for you, your spouse, and your dependents isn't stated separately from the part of the premium providing insurance for medical care for others."

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies