Solved: How do I handle a when a client paid me in 2016 for 2017 services? Note* this was reported on a 1099.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I handle a when a client paid me in 2016 for 2017 services? Note* this was reported on a 1099.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 5

How do I handle a when a client paid me in 2016 for 2017 services? Note* this was reported on a 1099.

Assuming you use the Cash Method of accounting (as opposed to the Accrual Method), you will report it on your 2016 tax return.  The Cash Method is most commonly used and it simply means that you report income and expenses when received/paid.

Also, since you received the Form 1099-MISC, the IRS will expect to see it on your 2016 tax return.

[edited 4/8/2017]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 5

Assuming you use the Cash Method of accounting (as opposed to the Accrual Method), you will report it on your 2016 tax return.  The Cash Method is most commonly used and it simply means that you report income and expenses when received/paid.

Also, since you received the Form 1099-MISC, the IRS will expect to see it on your 2016 tax return.

[edited 4/8/2017]

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings