Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

How do I get access to previous years self-employed tax returns?

I purchased the Home & Business 2018 CD this year instead of the online version to complete my 2018 taxes. I've just discovered that I am no longer able to access any previous tax returns that I prepared & filed online.  I am receiving the message that I need to pay in order to download the returns.  Is the only way to gain access to my previous returns to spend an additional $119.00 for the online Self-Employed version? If I do pay the $119.00, will I regain access to all previous years returns?  Is there another way to do this? I've never used the free version, only the Home & Business/Self-employed  version. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

To access a prior year online tax return and you did not use TurboTax for the 2017 tax return or you did not pay for one of the 2017 online editions of either Plus, Deluxe, Premier or Self-Employed, you will need to start a 2018 Free online tax return and then Upgrade and pay for the Plus edition ($19.99).  You do not have to file the 2018 tax return only pay for the upgrade.

Go to this TurboTax website for the 2018 online editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

You have to sign onto the 2018 account using the exact same User ID you used to create the prior year online tax return.  Enter your personal information in the 2018 Free edition. On the left side of the screen click on Upgrade.  Scroll down and select PLUS More Help & Tools.  Click on Upgrade Now (if Plus is grayed out then you are already using Plus and only need to pay for the upgrade)

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card so you can access your prior year online tax returns, click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Pay Now.  On the next screen just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will show a review of your Fees, click on Continue.  Complete the next screen to pay by credit card and click Continue.

You should like the Desktop program better.  It has more features and advantages.  You can also do more than 1 return.  You get 5 free federal Efiles and 1 free state Program download.  But it is 24.99 to efile a state return or you can print and mail state for free.

You probably need to know how to transfer from last year's online version.   See Transfer from Online into the Windows Desktop program.   Expand the Transfer from Turbo Tax Online link

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-fo...

One way is to start a 2018 Online return and transfer into that.  Then you can download the .tax2018 file from online and just OPEN it in the Desktop program.