abentley919

How do I find out why I owe state?

It shows I paid an x amount to state through the year and now I owe that same amount to state.
KarenM90

How do I find out why I owe state?

Here are some suggestions to view how Turbo Tax calculated the amount you owe;

1.  Go to Tax Tools/Tools/View Tax Summary and pick the state return from the menu on the left.  Look carefully at this summary and check the federal adjusted income, the state taxable income, the payments and the tax figures to make sure those appear reasonable based on your income, deductions and amounts you paid in through estimates and withholding.

2.  Choose State from the menu, and go through all the questions related to your State return again.  Make sure you have answered all questions completely.  When you get to the end of the state return, choose the "Explain Why" option within Turbo Tax.

3.  Once you finish inputting all of your information, and pay for the Turbo Tax program, you can view your entire return, as well as any/all worksheets and schedules.  

4.  Turbo Tax does offer several LIVE products you can purchase that can give you the option of having a section, or even the entire return reviewed by a CPA or EA.  (Choose the Live Tax Advice option within the program.)