turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I find out if I have more than one Intuit account, and how can I merge them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I find out if I have more than one Intuit account, and how can I merge them?

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the user ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your 2020 account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

There is no procedure to delete, close or merge an account since accounts may contain past tax information that needs to be preserved. You can just let it go dormant.  To secure your account, log in to your Turbotax account by typing the address into your browser window, and make sure your browser shows a padlock icon or whatever symbol it uses to indicate a secure verified connection.  Change your password, and make sure it is not something you use on other web sites.  Change your security question to something that a crook could not guess from social media.  Make sure your email address and cell phone number are up to date as Turbotax may use that to help verify future attempts to log in.

You also have the option to turn on 2-factor authentication for all log-ins.  With 2-factor authentication, Turbotax will send a code to your email or cell phone when you try to log in. The idea is that only someone who knows your password and also has possession of your phone will be able to log in, this is more likely to be the real you.  Turbotax will use 2-factor authentication whenever you log in from a computer that turbotax does not recognize, but you can turn it on for all log-ins in your security settings.

If you started an online return you can delete all your info and abandon it, if you wish.  Your account will still be available for you to use at some point in the future, as long as you use the same User ID and password. You could also indicate that Intuit emails are spam to keep them out of your regular email.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the user ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your 2020 account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

There is no procedure to delete, close or merge an account since accounts may contain past tax information that needs to be preserved. You can just let it go dormant.  To secure your account, log in to your Turbotax account by typing the address into your browser window, and make sure your browser shows a padlock icon or whatever symbol it uses to indicate a secure verified connection.  Change your password, and make sure it is not something you use on other web sites.  Change your security question to something that a crook could not guess from social media.  Make sure your email address and cell phone number are up to date as Turbotax may use that to help verify future attempts to log in.

You also have the option to turn on 2-factor authentication for all log-ins.  With 2-factor authentication, Turbotax will send a code to your email or cell phone when you try to log in. The idea is that only someone who knows your password and also has possession of your phone will be able to log in, this is more likely to be the real you.  Turbotax will use 2-factor authentication whenever you log in from a computer that turbotax does not recognize, but you can turn it on for all log-ins in your security settings.

If you started an online return you can delete all your info and abandon it, if you wish.  Your account will still be available for you to use at some point in the future, as long as you use the same User ID and password. You could also indicate that Intuit emails are spam to keep them out of your regular email.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies