tyvass1708

How do I fill out the allocation section for the injured spouse form? I defaulted on my student loan and had no income last year. We also have two children.

I did not work last year due to pregnancy issues and this year our taxes were offset. My husband is our only income and we have to children. How do we fill out the credits and exemptions portion of the allocations? Does he claim 4 exemptions, and me - 0? What about the credits? I had 0 income for 217.

AnnetteB

You should leave one exemption for yourself and have your spouse claim 3.

From the IRS instructions for Form 8379, “Allocate the exemptions claimed on the joint return to the spouse who would have claimed them if separate returns had been filed.”

Any credits related to your children would be allocated to the injured spouse as well. 

Also, be sure that when you are filling out the form that you indicate that your spouse is the “injured” party. 

AnnetteB