If you have health insurance through the Marketplace, when you enter your 1095-A, it will generate a Form 8962 to calculate Premium Tax Credit.
Turbo Tax will walk you through the questions for health insurance.
- Click on the Federal Taxes tab and select Health Insurance
- When asked if you had health insurance in 2016, select either all year or you will pick who and what months (total), and Continue.
- When asked about being enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016, select Yes if anyone was enrolled for any months.
- (if yes) On the What type of plan were you enrolled in? screen, select the option that generated the 1095-A, and then Continue.
- Follow the prompts to enter your 1095-A for the months on the form. Leave any other months blank and Turbo Tax will know it does not need any forms for that time. If any of the boxes on your form have a zero, please leave that box blank in TurboTax. Note: If most of the lines across are the same, you can use the blue copy previous monthbuttons to enter it again.
- (if no) Your return will not need data entered for any time covered by an employer's plan or by Medicaid, just the months selected. It does not need entry of 1095-B or Cs. It only needs specific information from the 1094-A form.
If you're not sure how to enter a 1095-A, because of other situations, please see below.