turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file for my 4 year old daughter who works as a model? Does she need her own return, or do I file her on my return?

She is considered self employed and represented by a modeling agency. She received a W-2 from one job she was contracted for, but other jobs we only have check stubs paid out to her from the agency.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I file for my 4 year old daughter who works as a model? Does she need her own return, or do I file her on my return?

Yes, she needs her own return filed. You cannot report it on your return.  She will need to file a Schedule C to report the income from self-employment (the jobs you only have check stubs for) which will be the income not reported on the W2. You will be able to deduct the expenses associated with the income from self-employment but not the expenses for the income reported on the W2 since employee job-related expenses are no longer tax deductible. 

The checks will be entered as cash receipts.

You will need to use TurboTax Self-Employed online or Home and Business download.  If you use the download version you can file 5 federal returns for free, the state does have an e-file fee though. 

Note, if this money is used to provide MORE than half of her own support you cannot claim her as a dependent on your return.  If it is not used to provide more than half of her own support, then be sure that you answer that someone can and will claim her on their return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, she needs her own return filed. You cannot report it on your return.  She will need to file a Schedule C to report the income from self-employment (the jobs you only have check stubs for) which will be the income not reported on the W2. You will be able to deduct the expenses associated with the income from self-employment but not the expenses for the income reported on the W2 since employee job-related expenses are no longer tax deductible. 

The checks will be entered as cash receipts.

You will need to use TurboTax Self-Employed online or Home and Business download.  If you use the download version you can file 5 federal returns for free, the state does have an e-file fee though. 

Note, if this money is used to provide MORE than half of her own support you cannot claim her as a dependent on your return.  If it is not used to provide more than half of her own support, then be sure that you answer that someone can and will claim her on their return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies