turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

recton

How do i file a return for a different person using my PC. It doesn't allow me to set up a different account

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do i file a return for a different person using my PC. It doesn't allow me to set up a different account

The online program is a single use only product. Only the downloaded program has the ability to complete multiple returns.

Never file a second return under the login you used to file your own return. Doing this overwrites (replaces) your original tax returns data and will cause future problems when retrieving or transferring your tax return.

Instead, create a new User ID/Password combination for the second return. Here's how...    

Sign out of TurboTax Online if you're still signed in under your login.

Go to turbotax.com and look for the New? Start for Free button or the Sign up link.    

Select the version you want to work on and select the Start for Free button.

On the Let's Set Up Your Account screen, enter a new User ID/Password combination for the second return, along with the other requested info.

After signing up, proceed with the second return.

It might be more economical to switch to the CD/Download Desktop software if you're planning to prepare multiple returns for family members.

DexT7

ok that did help .

blanchard52
Returning Member

I followed what you suggested, but when I went to download the software to my laptop computer, it said I already had software downloaded (which is true but from a separate TurboTax account I used for my own tax return). But I needed to file taxes for my deceased relative, so I created a 2nd TurboTax account, but it told me I had to first delete the Turbox software from my computer before downloading it from the 2nd account I created.

Suggestions?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

If you already have the download version of TurboTax on your computer, you can complete up to 5 returns on it. You cannot download more than one of the same software onto your computer. You could create a separate online account and complete the return using TurboTax Online.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies