How do I file a form 8379 because it keeps taking ...

velez_gates21

How do I file a form 8379 because it keeps taking me to form 8857 and it even says if you answered no do not file and see form 8379 but I can't seem to get there.

HelenC12

Note: Pay close attention to the screens, as some of them apply to innocent spouse relief, which is different. Leave those questions blank if you only want to claim injured spouse relief.

If you've already filed, see What if I've already filed my tax return?

You must file jointly to use this form. Filing an 8379 will delay your federal refund by up to 14 weeks.

To file this form in TurboTax:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. In the search box, enter injured spouse and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief? and carefully follow the onscreen instructions.

Related Information:

Source: TurboTax FAQ

kayagoub-64

am trying to inter form 8379 but I click on search and no response I can not inter this form or jumped to the link to inter it ,and on other forms I did not see it ,how can I add this form ,thanks

JohnW152

Try it this way.  With TurboTax Online open, 

1. Click the Pick up where you left off button, if it’s present
  2. Click the Other Tax Situations tab
  3. Click Uncommon Tax Situations
  4. At Other Tax Forms, click the Show more dropdown
  5. At the Report an injured or innocent spouse claim page, click Start or Revisit
  6. On the Innocent or Injured Spouse Relief, click Yes
  7. On the Innocent and Injured Spouse Relief page you’re first directed to enter the years you’re seeking innocent spouse relief.  If any years are entered, delete them.  Then, click Continue
  8. On the Your Request For Innocent Spouse Relief page, delete any information you might have input in Form 8857.  When done, click Continue.
  9. Then you’ll come to the Let's See if You Qualify for Injured Spouse Relief page, and you can begin entering your information there.

An injured spouse claim is a request to retain your portion of a tax refund from a joint federal tax return, when the IRS would normally take (or has already taken) the entire refund to offset a debt owed by your spouse, but not by you.