turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file a 1099 if I am an employee

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

You don't need to start over.  Since your earnings are on a 1099-MISC, you are considered self-employed and file a Schedule C.  You work for yourself and you are the business owner.  In TurboTax, this income gets entered under Self-employment income and expense

Click on Wages & Income at the top and scroll down to Self-employment, click start and set up your Schedule C.  After you enter all of your self-employment info, you can enter income (1099-misc) and expenses related to your work.  

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Employees get a W-2 and non-employees get a 1099.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

What kind of 1099?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What kind of 1099 do you have? There are 19 different kinds. There is no plain Form 1099. All 1099 forms have one or more letters after the 1099. The most common are 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, 1099-MISC, 1099-R, and 1099-G.

If you have a 1099-MISC or 1099-G, which box is the income in? And if it's a 1099-MISC, is it from an employer who also gave you a W-2? If you got a W-2 and a 1099-MISC from the same employer, what is the 1099-MISC for?

Miscellaneous income, this is my job. I never file a 1099 before. Yes, it is the same.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Please clarify, and be very specific about the details. It's hard, or impossible, to help you if you do not give all the information we ask for. Do you mean that you got a Form 1099-MISC with income in box 7? Did you also get a W-2?

If you got only a 1099-MISC with income in box 7, and you did not get a W-2, then you are not an employee. You are an independent contractor. Note that box 7 is called "NONemployee compensation." You have to report the income as business income. If you got a 1099-MISC and a W-2 from the same employer, how you handle it on your tax return depends on what the 1099-MISC is for, and why you got a 1099-MISC separate from your W-2, so please explain what the 1099-MISC is for.

I got a 1099 -MISC only, with income in box 7.
I guest I need to start over filing on the turbotax. But how?
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

You don't need to start over.  Since your earnings are on a 1099-MISC, you are considered self-employed and file a Schedule C.  You work for yourself and you are the business owner.  In TurboTax, this income gets entered under Self-employment income and expense

Click on Wages & Income at the top and scroll down to Self-employment, click start and set up your Schedule C.  After you enter all of your self-employment info, you can enter income (1099-misc) and expenses related to your work.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

When you posted your question you indicated that you are using TurboTax Online Deluxe. If you have business expenses to deduct from your self-employment income you will have to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies