turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter health insurance info when I went about two months without health insurance? I switched jobs in 2018 and had to wait to enroll.

I had insurance January-March 2018, started a new job in March and had to wait 90 days before I could enroll in my new job's plan.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

How do I enter health insurance info when I went about two months without health insurance? I switched jobs in 2018 and had to wait to enroll.

There are no more penalties for not having insurance for tax year 2019.  The answer below is for tax years that still had a penalty calculation, prior to 2019.  

When you get to the health insurance sections, the first question asks about the months you were covered.  You will choose the 3rd option, I had insurance part of the year.  On the next screen, you will indicate the months you had coverage.  TurboTax will allow you to enter any exemptions you may qualify for if there is any penalty calculated.

When you get to the screen that asks Were you covered by any of these plans?, answer NO.  You do not enter details of employer-based coverage.  This question only refers to Obamacare and 1095-A plans.  

[Edited 04/9/20 to add penalty note]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

There are no more penalties for not having insurance for tax year 2019.  The answer below is for tax years that still had a penalty calculation, prior to 2019.  

When you get to the health insurance sections, the first question asks about the months you were covered.  You will choose the 3rd option, I had insurance part of the year.  On the next screen, you will indicate the months you had coverage.  TurboTax will allow you to enter any exemptions you may qualify for if there is any penalty calculated.

When you get to the screen that asks Were you covered by any of these plans?, answer NO.  You do not enter details of employer-based coverage.  This question only refers to Obamacare and 1095-A plans.  

[Edited 04/9/20 to add penalty note]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies