turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lbnayak

How do I enter details if the 1099-B that I imported contains a mix of ESPP as well as RSUs ?

Turbo Tax gave me a choice to select ESPP or RSUs when I attempt to enter lot details but not both. If I select ESPP, it asks me for % discounts and applies it to all lots . If I select RSUs, it does not give me to chance to enter % discounts and assumes all are RSUs. How do I add lot-by-lot details for each ESPP and RSU entry ? I do not want to mail in anything to IRS
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How do I enter details if the 1099-B that I imported contains a mix of ESPP as well as RSUs ?

You can simply "break" that one sale into two sales, one for the stocks acquired via the RSUs and the other for the stocks acquired via the ESPP.  You allocate the proceeds based on the shares in each group.  If the stocks were acquired after 2010 then it's almost certain any basis shown on the 1099-B is for the ESPP shares only as brokers are only required to report the "out of pocket" cost to acquire the stock and for RSUs that's typically $0.

Don't worry the the IRS will somehow come down on you because you've split up the sale.  Their "matching" process is "fuzzier" then that and your REAL obligation as a taxpayer is to report your income CORRECTLY, not slavishly match numbers on little pieces of government-approved pieces of paper.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies