turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kasdimas

How do I enter a 1099 MISC from my current employer if I don't actually own/run my own business? It was for my intro period when I was hired but paid as contracted labor

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

How do I enter a 1099 MISC from my current employer if I don't actually own/run my own business? It was for my intro period when I was hired but paid as contracted labor

You need to include your income from your contract labor on a Schedule C.  You can also deduct any expenses related to earning the contract labor income on your Schedule C.  When you receive a Form 1099-MISC for work you have done, the IRS considers this self-employment income.

You can check out this link to a TurboTax FAQ for more details on reporting this income: Where do I enter Schedule C?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You need to include your income from your contract labor on a Schedule C.  You can also deduct any expenses related to earning the contract labor income on your Schedule C.  When you receive a Form 1099-MISC for work you have done, the IRS considers this self-employment income.

You can check out this link to a TurboTax FAQ for more details on reporting this income: Where do I enter Schedule C?

kasdimas

When I entered the information, it asked if I started the work in 2018, if I ended the work in 2018, or if neither were done. Do I mark that I both started and ended the work in 2018 since I was only paid this way for 60 days before being added to the normal payroll by my employer?
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct....you should mark that you both started and ended the work in 2018.
kasdimas

Thank you so much!
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You are welcome!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies