turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I display the Tax Computation Worksheet?

I'm attempting to double check the 1040, line 44 entry.  The Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet, line 24 just says to use "the Tax Computation Worksheet", but I cannot seem to find nor display it.  Using TT  Premier.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

60 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The Tax Computation Worksheet does not appear as a form or worksheet in TurboTax. The calculation is done internally. You can see the Tax Computation Worksheet on page 89 of the IRS instructions for Form 1040. Be sure to read the paragraph at the top of the worksheet regarding what amount to enter in column (a). You can download the IRS instructions from the following link.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

I had the same question, so thank you for answering it.  But now it opens up another question:  Why doesn't TurboTax allow the worksheet to appear in the program?  So, if I happen to get an IRS audit, and they ask me how I figured my tax amount, am I supposed to tell them, "well, that calculation was done internally by TurboTax"? That information should be readily available.  I bought TurboTax so I wouldn't have to download forms from the IRS website and fill them out myself.  My TurboTax federal tax return is filled with dozens of worksheets I don't even look at, but something as important as a worksheet that shows my tax liability can not be viewed.
Anonymous
Not applicable

agreed. this is a joke.

Yeah, seriously. Why don't they let us access this?? Especially since one of the main reasons to get audited by the IRS is incorrect calculation of tax...
RobFL

The 2019 Tax Computation Worksheet—Line 12a is found on page 74.

... of the IRS 2019 Instructions for Form 1040. 

But why again should I have to go there? It appears that this was an issue last year as well. Does TT not monitor these comments?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@ckohnen3655

First of all, please go look at the "Form 1040 or 1040-SR Worksheet" (if you have the CD/download product, this will be the first form in the forms list).

Scroll down to the section called Tax Smart Worksheet.

The worksheet that your tax is calculate on depends on which of these boxes is checked. For example, in this test just a moment ago, I have foreign earned income, so the box for line A.7 was checked. I would have had to go to that worksheet to find the tax calculations.

In your case, if all you had were qualified dividends and/or capital gain, then box A.4 would be checked (as it is above), and then you would go to the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Worksheet to see the calculation - this worksheet is abbreviated on the left as "Qual Div/Cap Gn".

See here: 

If you have Online and have paid for the product, then go to the Print Center and see if you can follow the same trail.

In short, which worksheet has the tax calculation will vary, and you just have to find the Smart Tax Worksheet and see which one it is.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hate to tell you, Expert, but this is wrong or maybe the better way to put it is this just sends you in circle. Maybe it has to do with the TT version you are using, but it does appear to be that. I am using TT Deluxe (on a Mac) and I went looking for the Tax Computation Worksheet FROM the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet (QD and CGTW), line 24. There is just a calculated tax liability number in there and I went searching for the Tax Computation Worksheet in TT like others. You seem to be pointing to this QD and CGTW as the place to find the details of the tax liability calculation, but it is just the calculated number there.

Again as others have said, Intuit, it is ridiculous that you don't have this Tax Computation Worksheet form available in TT and that we have to download the IRS form to calculate/verify that your number is right/makes sense.

I agree. The tax calculation should definitely be displayed in the program!!

IT IS in the program ... simply save a PDF with all the worksheets to see EVERY behind the scenes calculation ... heck even the worksheets have worksheets in the TT system ... that is why a return that is only 10 pages long can have a PDF over 100 pages.  

How do I save my 2019 TurboTax Online return as a PDF?

We'll automatically save your 2019 online return in both PDF and tax data file (.tax) formats once you file your return or when TurboTax Online shuts down in mid-October, whichever comes first.

You also have the option of saving your return as a PDF before filing if you want to see how the underlying tax forms have been filled out. Here's how:

1. Sign in and open (continue) your online return, if you're not already signed in.
  2. Select Tax Tools in the left menu.
  3. Select Print Center, choose Print, save, or preview this year's return and follow the instructions.
    • If you haven't yet paid your TurboTax Online fee (or registered, if you're in a free version), you'll need to do so before you can save the PDF.

If you make changes to your return after saving your PDF, repeat these steps to ensure that your PDF file stays in-sync with your online data.

Tip: PDF files can't be opened or read by TurboTax software, which means they can't be used for amending or troubleshooting calculation issues. For this reason, we recommend that you also save your completed return as a tax data file.

Related Information:

Agree.  The Tax Computation Worksheet definitely needs to be able to be accessed so I can see the calculation.  Since it is not, I have to go find the worksheet in the IRS instructions myself, and do the math in an excel file.  Ridiculous! There are reasons why some of us want to actually see the math (running scenarios, understanding impact of various factors, seeing how it flows through).  -  TTax Deluxe Mac 2020

Have you tried the procedure from the post at this link?

It works for me.  I'm using the web-based TurboTax Self-Employed.

Here is the procedure:

• Click Tax Home to the left
  • Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and click Show
  • Select Add a State to get back in return. (Don't worry. It doesn't add another state to your return.)
  • In the left hand-menu, select Tax Tools.
  • Select Print Center.
  • Then choose Print, save or preview this year’s return.
  • Now check the 2017 federal returns (or 2017 state returns) box and choose which forms to print out or all worksheets.
  • Select View or print forms, then go ahead and print.

Here's what it looks like:

TurboTaxPrintCenter.png

I had the same question - also on Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies