turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jerryx
Returning Member

How do i attach w2 to New York e-file return? For the past two year my refunds have been delayed pending w2 submission.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How do i attach w2 to New York e-file return? For the past two year my refunds have been delayed pending w2 submission.

If you entered the W-2 information on your state tax return before you efiled it, there is no need to send a copy of the W-2 to the state. All the information they need is in the efiled return. The only reason you would need to send a copy of a W-2 is if you printed and mailed your return instead of efiling it. Not sure what happened in prior years. 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You cannot attach copies of your forms W-2 to your NY tax return if you e-file.

And when you e-file, you are not required to attach copies of your forms W-2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jerryx
Returning Member

Yet I have been asked to send in scanned w2s for the last two consecutive years by New York state. I was wondering if there were a way to preempt... 

Just by printing and mailing your return with the W2s instead of Efiling.

Similar with my State of KY because I have extra withholding and they must not believe what my e-file says. So they want copies of W-2 and 1099Rs. It would be nice if there was a way to attach a PDF with efile. Certainly can't tell the State no when they ask for verification.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

You only need to enter or import the information from your W-2 into TurboTax in order to e-file.

Many individual states have opted to spot-check some W-2's for additional validation, and some are also checking a sample of individual returns for additional identification verification. In some cases, the IRS asks for additional information to establish identity. These are decisions made by the individual tax agencies.

TurboTax allows you to upload documents to your account, but the e-file process doesn't allow for transmission of those documents, just the electronic tax returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies