Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I approach community property filing for my RDP filing in CA? If I make significantly more than my partner, can I split my income between the two of us?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

You need a tax attorney.  You situation is too complicated for amateurs on this forum to help you, and the few pros here won't be representing you in court if the state or IRS disagree with what they say.

For married couples covered by the community property law, you must generally split your income 50/50, except that if you have individual property from before the marriage (like stocks or a rental house you owned before the marriage) that is usually considered separate income.  I have no idea if community property law applies to RDPs.  I do know you can't file a "married" return (joint or separate) with the IRS, you have to file as single, unless one of you can claim a qualifying dependent that allows you to file as head of household.  But I can't tell you if, or how, to split your income.

This might be covered by Turbotax Live, if you upgrade and get a California CPA or EA who can advise you.  Otherwise, you should probably see a professional.