slftriangle

How do I apply a purchased version of Turbotax to my saved online return (purchased CD version at Target) so I don't have to pay again?

Ok ... are you saying you bought a CD version then used the Online version instead ?  Why ?

You cannot get "credit " for the CD purchase but you can switch to the CD version so you don't have to pay the fee again ....

If you started your 2016 return in TurboTax Online and want to switch to the TurboTax software, here's how.

1.     Save your online return as a tax data file.

2.     Sign out of TurboTax Online.

3.     Install your 2016 TurboTax software. Buy it here:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

o   Important: If your return includes a state, make sure you also install the corresponding state program(s), otherwise you'll get Error 539.

4.     Once installed, choose File > Open Tax Return in the software program.

5.     Browse to where you saved your .tax2016file and click Open.

6.     If you get an error, delete your tax data file and repeat these steps from the beginning.

7.     (Optional) Once you've confirmed that your online return opens properly in the software, you can clear your online return.