Solved: How come when I claim my dependent I don’t get the amount you say I should get

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come when I claim my dependent I don’t get the amount you say I should get

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

Some "Tax Breaks" are deductions (subtraction from income, before the taxes are computed), not tax credits or refunds. For example, the $4,050 Personal Exemption.

Some credits (such as the Child Tax Credit) can only lower your taxes due to zero.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 15

Did the TurboTax announcement that you got a “tax break” confuse you?  You do not receive $4050 for having a dependent.  The "$4050 tax break" you saw means that since you have a dependent, $4050 of your income is "tax free."  Your "dependent deduction" lowers the amount of your income that you have to pay tax on. It is not a refund.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Level 15

Some "Tax Breaks" are deductions (subtraction from income, before the taxes are computed), not tax credits or refunds. For example, the $4,050 Personal Exemption.

Some credits (such as the Child Tax Credit) can only lower your taxes due to zero.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings