turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did not receive all of my federal return, my return was $1990.00, I owed the feds $520.00, I only received $758.00, where is the balance?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

I did not receive all of my federal return, my return was $1990.00, I owed the feds $520.00, I only received $758.00, where is the balance?

How can you both owe and get a refund?  What are your separate state and federal amounts due or expected?  They get paid to or paid from different places at different times and aren't combined.

…...or if it was just for Federal taxes....and if you owed $520 in back taxes from a different year...there are penalties and interest that gets tacked on that can be substantial depending on how many years it's been.

Wait for a letter from the IRS in a couple weeks...there could be more items too.  Offsets for long overdue State taxes  (IF the state asked the IRS to get them ) could have been tacked on...overdue child support....
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I received the letter from the IRS and they stated that they only took $520.00. I have been making monthly payments to the IRS for my back taxes.  The remaining balance was $520.00 and that's what they took per the letter.  I do not owe any penalties.

OK ... so we know the IRS was paid but is the state refund in that $1990 amount ?   If so you just have not gotten the state refund yet ... the fed & state do not arrive together.   And did you have the TT fees withheld from the federal refund as well ?

Yes I had the fees withheld but the fees was not $600.00 plus.

The State Refund was $600.00 in addition to the $1990 0] that I was to receive from the Federal Refund

I spoke with the IRS and they stated that my total Federal Income Taxes Return with the Owed amount $506.81. Total Refund Due is $1483.19. Less your fees

What is the description on the 758 deposit?  Could it just be for your state refund?  Maybe the state sent you more.

Or maybe they adjusted the 1990 to 1483.  So it's the 1,483-506 owed - fees?

Ok ... so the IRS took their share and this is not the state refund ... so the only other place that could have intercepted  the balance of the refund is the processing bank ... they should send you a notice explaining why they kept some of the refund ... if you read the fine print they can also collect for certain other things  like prior year uncollected fees, unpaid refund advance loans made by any tax prep company and other things.

Contact the third party processor, Santa Barbara Tax Product Group, using their website - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.sbtpg.com/">https://www.sbtpg.com/</a>
Tax Products Group Contact Information - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/230084587-Contact-Information">https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en...>

Only the IRS can tell you, as they do not inform TT.  Call the number on the letter for an explanation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies