How can we waive no health insurance penalty when file tax? I moved to US April 2018 and my husband lived abroad for the whole year and did not have health insurance.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we waive no health insurance penalty when file tax? I moved to US April 2018 and my husband lived abroad for the whole year and did not have health insurance.

I had insurance since I came here in April. No insurance for the first 3 months of the year as I was living overseas. My husband has not lived in the States yet since he became US permanent resident. I don't think we should get this health insurance penalty.

1 Reply

There are exemptions to the health care pentaly:

• Exemptions are available based on a number of circumstances, including certain hardships, some life events, health coverage or financial status, and membership in some groups.
  • You claim most health coverage exemptions on your federal tax return. Some require you to fill out and mail an application to the Marketplace.
  • You don’t have to pay the fee for any month you have qualifying health coverage. If you’re uncovered only 1 or 2 months, you don’t have to pay the fee for any month.

For more detailed information, see https://www.healthcare.gov/health-coverage-exemptions/exemptions-from-the-fee/

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings