How can we waive no health insurance penalty when file tax? I moved to US April 2018 and my husband lived abroad for the whole year and did not have health insurance.

rayray4949

I had insurance since I came here in April. No insurance for the first 3 months of the year as I was living overseas. My husband has not lived in the States yet since he became US permanent resident. I don't think we should get this health insurance penalty.

abrown19

There are exemptions to the health care pentaly:

• Exemptions are available based on a number of circumstances, including certain hardships, some life events, health coverage or financial status, and membership in some groups.
  • You claim most health coverage exemptions on your federal tax return. Some require you to fill out and mail an application to the Marketplace.
  • You don’t have to pay the fee for any month you have qualifying health coverage. If you’re uncovered only 1 or 2 months, you don’t have to pay the fee for any month.

For more detailed information, see https://www.healthcare.gov/health-coverage-exemptions/exemptions-from-the-fee/