• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moshesef33

How can I know if I had a health insurance coverage in 2016?

All my forms W-2 show a "5 Medicare wages and tips" and "6 Medicare tax withheld"! Do they count as health insurance coverage in 2016?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

No.  Medicare tax withholding goes to pay for the Medicare Hospital Insurance  that you’ll get when you’re a senior.  It is calculated on wages reported in box 5 - Medicare wages and tips. 

Today, the Medicare Tax rate is 1.45% for individuals with earned income up to $200,000. Employees and employers each pay 1.45%, for a total of 2.9%.

If you did not arrange for health insurance, either yourself or through your employer, (or if you aren't covered by your parent's policy, you most likely don't have health insurance.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

No.  Medicare tax withholding goes to pay for the Medicare Hospital Insurance  that you’ll get when you’re a senior.  It is calculated on wages reported in box 5 - Medicare wages and tips. 

Today, the Medicare Tax rate is 1.45% for individuals with earned income up to $200,000. Employees and employers each pay 1.45%, for a total of 2.9%.

If you did not arrange for health insurance, either yourself or through your employer, (or if you aren't covered by your parent's policy, you most likely don't have health insurance.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v