moshesef33

How can I know if I had a health insurance coverage in 2016?

All my forms W-2 show a "5 Medicare wages and tips" and "6 Medicare tax withheld"! Do they count as health insurance coverage in 2016?

IreneS

No.  Medicare tax withholding goes to pay for the Medicare Hospital Insurance  that you’ll get when you’re a senior.  It is calculated on wages reported in box 5 - Medicare wages and tips. 

Today, the Medicare Tax rate is 1.45% for individuals with earned income up to $200,000. Employees and employers each pay 1.45%, for a total of 2.9%.

If you did not arrange for health insurance, either yourself or through your employer, (or if you aren't covered by your parent's policy, you most likely don't have health insurance.

IreneS