How can I find out if I was a dependent on my father's income tax?

Can I prove my dad was my dad through his income tax?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why are you trying to "prove" that you were a dependent on someone else's tax return?   For what purpose?

(...... "Can I prove my dad was my dad through his income tax?...  ).  An income tax return is not a paternity test.   So, no, his tax return would not prove paternity.  A DNA test would provide that sort of proof.

So--again....what are you trying to prove?  To whom?

And.....why not just ask your father if he claimed you as a dependent on his return?

How old were you at the end of 2023?   Were you a full-time student?  How much income did you receive in  2023?

Here is the criteria your father (or someone else) must follow to determine if you can be claimed as a dependent.   There are two types of dependents----- qualifying child and qualifying relative.

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2023 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They're related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They lived with you the entire year (exceptions apply).
  • They made less than $4,700 in 2023.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them. There may be other tax benefits you can get when you claim a dependent.

Related Information:

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

If your father (or anyone else) claimed you as a dependent and you file a return that says you cannot be claimed as someone else's dependent, your own e-file will be rejected.   Was your e-file rejected?   Is there confusion regarding e-filing?

Generally, you can't get access to someone else's tax returns.  (Maybe with a court order???)

What are you really trying to accomplish?  Why do you need this information?

Hal_Al

With the tax law change, effective 2018, most dependents will get the same refund whether they claim themselves or not. The personal exemption has been eliminated and the standard deduction increased, for those with earned income. 

@Hal_Al wrote:

There are a couple of tax benefit you can't claim if you are claimed as someone else's dependent.  If you want to claim those benefits, and you don't know if someone could claim you or did claim you and you can't ask, then you should just file a return as if you were not claimed as a dependent.  The IRS will contact you if there is a problem.

If you need to know for other reasons, we need more details to help you, but you probably can't get a copy of someone else's return without a very good and legally sufficient reason to break their privacy protections.