turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I e-file with excess deferrals over the contribution limit showing on form W2/W2G Summary?

Unable to e-file with excess elective deferrals to qualified plans on my W2/W2G Summary form.  Shouldn't this be a warning and not an error?  I have accounted for the excess deferral as income so the taxes are correct, but I am still unable to e-file.  The TurboTax Home & Business is stuck in a loop telling me that I have over contributed above the $18,500 limit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How can I e-file with excess deferrals over the contribution limit showing on form W2/W2G Summary?

I have the same question/problem. TurboTax will not let me change the numbers...I'm also not sure whether I should edit line 12b on my Form 1040.

If you are referring to line 12b on the W-2 & W-2G Summary form, it is just a worksheet that consolidates all of your W2s.  So you would have to change the numbers on the W2s, which you should NOT do since it will have to match with the copies that the IRS gets.  Hence the conundrum why does TurboTax comes to a screeching halt for a situation that does happens and on a form that is not transmitted to the IRS?

Yes, that's what I mean, thanks.

Have you resolved this yet? In state of CA, I have no other option but to e-file. TurboTax won't let me do that due to this endless feedback loop. Worried that I'm going to miss the deadline.

@mthompson424 Intuit plans to provide an update to TurboTax on April 12, 2019 that will let you e-file.  See <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4698409-excess-401-k-contribution-preventing-e-file">https://ttlc....> for more details.  I personally had already transferred all my information into the IRS Fillable Forms and e-filed with the IRS.  For CA, you can also use the CA FTB website to file your taxes electronically and avoid paying the TurboTax state e-file fee.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

The e-file issue you encountered issue within TurboTax has now been fixed.

You may still see a warning about the excess contribution, but you should be able to e-file.  You can check out this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing E-filing

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies