Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How can i do tax return from abroad if im j-1 student?

im foreigner and abroad but want to file tax return to my uncle's credit card who lives in the US. Is that possible?
2 Replies
New Member

How can i do tax return from abroad if im j-1 student?

Please note that J-1 visa holders who substantially comply with the requirements of that visa, and who do not exceed the duration of their specific Visitor Exchange Program, are exempt from the Substantial Presence Test used to determine eligibility for being a resident alien for U.S. income tax purposes: this means that you are considered a nonresident alien.

As a nonresident alien you will need to file a Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ to report any U.S.-source income you have. TurboTax does not support Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, so you will not be able to use TurboTax for your specific tax situation.

You may want to check out Sprintax, a partner of TurboTax, who are specifically geared towards international student nonresident aliens with 1040NR filing requirements - for more information visit

For more information about nonresident alien status versus resident alien status, please see IRS Publication 519, US Tax Guide for Aliens:

Level 7

How can i do tax return from abroad if im j-1 student?

you make it sound like J! visa holders are always NRAs, however, the exemption to the SPT is limited to 2 (nonstudent) or 5 (student) years.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies