• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sshepar1

How can I claim my daughter who lived with me half the year last year? I am unable through turbotax because she already filed.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarolynM
Level 1

How can I claim my daughter who lived with me half the year last year? I am unable through turbotax because she already filed.

Unfortunately, if she has already filed and did not indicate someone can claim her as a dependent, you will need to print and file by mail to claim your daughter. She will need to amend her tax return to reflect this as well.

You will go to File Step 3 to change your filing method

To claim a child as a dependent, she must:
*            be your child (or adoptive or foster child), sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild; 
*            be under age 19, or under age 24 and a full-time student for at least five months of the year; or be permanently disabled, regardless of age; 
*            have lived with you for more than half the year; and
*            have provided no more than half her own support for the year.

To claim an adult as a dependent:

·       You provided more than half of their support.

·       They made less than $4,150 in gross taxable income. 

·       They are not a dependent on someone else’s taxes.

·       They are not filing a joint return with someone else.

·       They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CarolynM
Level 1

Unfortunately, if she has already filed and did not indicate someone can claim her as a dependent, you will need to print and file by mail to claim your daughter. She will need to amend her tax return to reflect this as well.

You will go to File Step 3 to change your filing method

To claim a child as a dependent, she must:
*            be your child (or adoptive or foster child), sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild; 
*            be under age 19, or under age 24 and a full-time student for at least five months of the year; or be permanently disabled, regardless of age; 
*            have lived with you for more than half the year; and
*            have provided no more than half her own support for the year.

To claim an adult as a dependent:

·       You provided more than half of their support.

·       They made less than $4,150 in gross taxable income. 

·       They are not a dependent on someone else’s taxes.

·       They are not filing a joint return with someone else.

·       They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident. 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v