daviddbakerco

How are employee bonus reported to the irs? My son received a christmas bonus bonus from his employer and they gave him a 1099.

When we enter his 1099 box #7 non employee compensation in turbo tax it tells us that his employer should have shown it on his w-2. Did the company do something illegal?

KittyM

Your son's employer should have added the bonus to your son's wages and withheld Social Security and Income Tax on the amount.

They were more likely uninformed about the proper procedure for declaring a bonus.

KittyM