Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Host Family Credit - for International Students

I host an international student (and am paid through a church for hosting).  I read somewhere that I can get $50/mo tax credit - or can fill out a schedule something... anyone else do this?
2 Replies
Level 7

Host Family Credit - for International Students

To report your $50/month deduction for hosting an exchange student in TurboTax:

  • Click My Account (Top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type in charitable contributions

Highlight it and select GO, and follow the prompts

You will enter this expense as a cash contribution.

New Member

Host Family Credit - for International Students

Much better than that is to write off all home-based business expenses (proportional share of utilities, property taxes, Internet and phone costs, etc.,  plus food and mileage for the students).  Otherwise, like another answer to a similar question said, you'll lose about 1/3 of your income to self-employment "taxes" and income tax.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies