Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yara

hi

im on offset which means my w2 return goes to student

loan and once i file taxes the return for my children goes also to student loan 

so i noticed they consider w2 and income where i didnt recive it and it makes my income high and also same with the tax refund i didnt recive it and it makes my income high 

where im poor and they passed my taxes as if i have high income but if w2 return+refund retun goes to student loan my irs forms should reflect that income how can i fix it

beside i didnt include un employement where after all of that money went to student loan 

irs says i owe them un emplyment taxes becuases its taxable how can i deducat all that 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

hi

@yara , as I understand  your  situation, because of offsets ( delinquent student loan etc. ), the IRS is essentially  is taking most / all of your refund including the child credit, earned income credit etc.  This is frustrating because the credits  are based on your children  and not on your earnings ( W-2 ).  However, when creditors  ( e.g. student  loan   lender/ bank  etc. )  lay a claim, it is serviced  first i.e    your claim of refund  is first used to satisfy all the creditors of record and then what is left belongs to you -- that , unfortunately , is the law.   You can call the IRS and discuss the hardship this puts you  in  and perhaps they can do some type of allocation  but it is not very likely.  Good luck

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies