turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jcgaminog

Hi. I want to waive the non insurance penalty because I am a foreign citizen working legally in the US but I moved here at the beginning of March. Is there an option?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenaC

Hi. I want to waive the non insurance penalty because I am a foreign citizen working legally in the US but I moved here at the beginning of March. Is there an option?

Yes. Exemptions you can claim if you weren’t required to get insurance:

• If you spent 330 days or more outside U.S., you can claim a penalty exemption on your taxes and no further paperwork is needed.
  • If you were a resident of foreign country or U.S. territory, you can claim a penalty exemption on your taxes and no further paperwork is needed.
  • If you were not a U.S. resident, you can claim a penalty exemption on your taxes and no further paperwork is needed.
  • If you’re a member of a health care sharing ministry, you can claim a penalty exemption on your taxes and no further paperwork is needed.
  • If you’re an Indian tribe member or eligible for Indian health care, you can claim a penalty exemption on your taxes and no further paperwork is needed.
  • If you spent time in jail, you can claim a penalty exemption on your taxes and no further paperwork is needed.

After you complete the Health Insurance section, if you or anyone on your tax return wasn't insured, we’ll check to see if they can get a health insurance exemption. If so, we’ll waive the tax penalty.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies