jcgaminog

Hi. I want to waive the non insurance penalty because I am a foreign citizen working legally in the US but I moved here at the beginning of March. Is there an option?

HelenaC

Yes. Exemptions you can claim if you weren’t required to get insurance:

• If you spent 330 days or more outside U.S., you can claim a penalty exemption on your taxes and no further paperwork is needed.
  • If you were a resident of foreign country or U.S. territory, you can claim a penalty exemption on your taxes and no further paperwork is needed.
  • If you were not a U.S. resident, you can claim a penalty exemption on your taxes and no further paperwork is needed.
  • If you’re a member of a health care sharing ministry, you can claim a penalty exemption on your taxes and no further paperwork is needed.
  • If you’re an Indian tribe member or eligible for Indian health care, you can claim a penalty exemption on your taxes and no further paperwork is needed.
  • If you spent time in jail, you can claim a penalty exemption on your taxes and no further paperwork is needed.

After you complete the Health Insurance section, if you or anyone on your tax return wasn't insured, we’ll check to see if they can get a health insurance exemption. If so, we’ll waive the tax penalty.